Thursday, July 17, 2008

Bocce 2008

As I mentioned before, we've had a busy few days. Today I'll fill you in on bocce, and I'll have to catch you up on our Chicago trip later. (There's just not enough time in the day! I figure laundry really should take precedence over blogging!)

The fun started last Saturday with our family's annual 4th (or 12th?) of July bocce tournament. (Of course the party wasn't the same this year because my mom was stuck at our house with the flu. We missed you mom, and are glad you're feeling better now!)


Sarah with her "best buds" aka cousins Lindsay and Allison - she is still bugging me about when we can see them again!

baby Megan taking a break with Sher

We get together and celebrate with the traditional pitch-in and fireworks, but the heart of the gathering is the bocce tournament. We draw numbers to make teams of two and compete in single elimination form. And let me tell you, the competition gets fierce!

My brother, Matt, in victorious celebration

My cousins, Tim and Mark, losing quite graciously (Is that possible in this family?)
Well, my partner, Kay, and I were out the first round. (We lost to the eventual tournament winners, which I think makes our loss sound much better.)



Giving it my all


Hubby made a respectable run, but lost in the semifinals (also to the overall winners).


Competitive bocce takes serious concentration!

My dad and my cousin's boyfriend pulled out the victory in the end. Congrats Dad and Colin! And congrats to the runners-up - my brother, Matt, and my cousin, Kathryn.


Someone (who shall remain nameless) didn't get the real prizes picked up in time, so Dad and Colin will have to receive their custom hats at a later date.


After bocce came the real competition. Junior bocce! All the little ones (and some that aren't so little anymore) get to play their own bocce game. My kids thoroughly enjoyed it!



Go Josh!

I love this tradition that my family has. I forget exactly how long it's been going on, but I think it's been over 25 years! That's amazing! We even have a lovely trophy that the winners can proudly display during their reigning year as bocce champs.



Don't you wish you could have something this classy for your home?

And my favorite picture of the day goes to my cousin, Homie Dave...(yo!)


A fun time was had by all! (Well, except for mom, I guess...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pics!!! So sorry I missed it!! What a family we have - I love them all!!

Love,
Mom (aka the sick one)

P.S. We have bocce champion hats dating back to 1981 - you and Matt were younger than Josh and Sarah are now - UNBELIEVABLE!!!