Monday, February 2, 2009

The Glove

We were just having one of those days today.

Major meltdowns over wardrobe choices, food choices, story choices, you name it. Children less than thrilled to obey their mommy. Children more than happy to boss around and fight with each other.

Ugh.

I knew the problem was a simple lack of sleep, as we were out late for a Super Bowl party last night, but still! While I was doing my best to portray patience and love on the outside, on the inside I was going crazy.

That's when I came upon the glove.

It was a simple pink glove (left in the middle of the kitchen floor, of course) that helped my inside to better match my outside...

It's the sign for "I Love You" in American Sign Language. And I think it was a gift from God.

"Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins."
-1 Peter 4:8

It was just laying there as a gentle reminder that even when my kids are driving me crazy, I really do love them so incredibly much. And they love me, too.

I wish I could tell you that everything got much better around here, but I did still have three sleepy kids. The difference was in me. I wasn't quite so frustrated. And that helped me to just approach things so much better. No, the kids weren't allowed to get away with disobedience, because they need to learn how to behave even when they don't feel like it, but our home exuded love today and not impatience.

I'd say it was a good day.

Thanks, God, for the reminder from a glove.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!! I am grateful that you will stop and listen to God's still small voice (or maybe glove).

Big Timber